Edinburgh Global photography competition winners

Reading time: 3 minutes

The winners of the Edinburgh Global 2020 Photography Competition have now been selected.

The annual competition is open to all current international students, students who have had a Go Abroad experience and Online Distance Learners outside the UK.

The theme for this year’s competition was Edinburgh in Mind.

With different restrictions across the globe, the theme was chosen to inspire students to share what impressions of Edinburgh they carry with them, wherever they find themselves in the world.

1st Prize – Marilyn Mathew

Marilyn-Mathew.jpg
“The image has three qualities that I associate with Edinburgh. It has beauty serenity and power. I was anxious when I had landed in Edinburgh. But after three months of living here by myself I feel at peace and empowered; with Edinburgh engulfing me in its warm embrace whenever I look out of my window.”

2nd Prize – Ian Liang

ian-liang_637257199.jpg
“As winter approaches mental health becomes very important. If you are feeling isolated and are struggling, know that you aren’t alone. If you have friends in need reach out to them. This was a photo of the Aurora Borealis taken at Arthur’s Seat – to me it represents hope in this period of darkness.”

Principal’s Choice winner – Danghatai Wongthanaroj

danghatai-wongthanaroj_637040574.jpg
“A sunrise at Arthur’s seat. What a great view to enjoy before the day begins. The silhouette of people and a bike gives me the Edinburgh city vibes.​​​​​​​”

Around the World category winner – Ivana Paulusova

ivana-paulusova_637042137.JPG
“By going through my photos taken during a year abroad in Australia I am letting my mind travel again. Thinking of all the different beach sunsets and other natural wonders I saw and the people I met makes me feel nostalgic but never more hopeful there are better times awaiting again.”

In the City category winner – Yufen Yang

yufen-yang_637113549.jpg
“Trees in the mist taken from the Meadows. People run and walk. It’s life here and now dim but beautiful.”

Looking Ahead category winner – Germán Mora Martín

german-mora-martin_637321328.jpg
“Covid-19 has completely turned our world topsy-turvy. But even if the present is dark and blurry there is always a ray of light. It does not matter how adverse the situations are, life will always find a way to break through and grow the roots to a better world.”

People and Community category winner – Priscilla Lam

priscilla-lam_637344946.jpg
“The paths may seem endlessly winding but good company makes the experience enjoyable (or at least less exhausting!) with pleasant laughter along the way. Support from friends and family is an integral source of hope in these difficult times. This photo was taken at the Pentland Hills.”

People’s Choice winner – Sachinda Dulanjana

sachinda-dulanjana_637089026.jpg
“And sometimes just sometimes when people say ‘forever’ they mean it. This is one of my favourite clicks which I captured at the Meadows in that misty afternoon while I was on my way back from the University.”​​​​​​​
There will be a physical exhibition in Old College Quad in spring 2021 (restrictions allowing), showcasing competition entries.